HiFi & Professional Audio Forum  

High End D-Class. Live or let die?

Hi-Fi komponente, iskustva, pitanja, saveti, komentari..

PrekoBare
srebrni korisnik
srebrni korisnik

Re: High End D-Class. Live or let die?

Post by PrekoBare » 18 Jan 2012, 16:34

Gerner, again an analogy with watch market that can be used as prediction. Before quartz revolution in the 1970s, high precision chronographs could not be achieved on the cheap. You want it, you pay for it. The majority of people could not, so they have to settle for inferior or average mechanical watches. They differed mostly on style and peripheral features, but were not precise (the principal quality of watch as time tracking device) .

Then came quartz watches and the stories of their fabulous accuracy (+-10 seconds a year). The stories were true, but not complete. SOME quartz watches have that accuracy IF they are thermocompensated. The majority of quartz mechanisms are not thermocompensated and have an error of approx. 5 seconds a day. It is still way more accurrate than average mechanical watch and was GOOD ENOUGH for the majority of consumers.

HEQ (high end quartz) with several seconds per year accuracy was possible, but there were only handful on the market.
And they were sold rather sheepishly, with little marketing. For example, Omega made several HEQ watches, but they did not even advertise them as such - it would send the message that their other watches are actually substandard. Bulova is making one HEQ right now (precisionist) and could be purchased for $200 or so. There are more expensive Bulovas that are garbage when compared with Precisionist line, yet they are made and sold.
Citizen makes radio control watches ($400) that are synched to atomic clocks. Yet, they are only fraction of their product line.
This watch makes any analog chronograph obsolete technology. Yet, it is not in high demand. People do not need it actually.

What's the moral of this story? Human nature.

For the majority of people, GOOD ENOUGH is leading principle in life, on condition they are not embarassed to be seen as cheap.

On other hand, people like to splurge money on things that will boost their ego.

Class D for amplification is what quartz was for the timekeeping. Revolutionary. No doubt, it could be made to be superior to other classes of amps, but
the problem will be with perception of Class D among customer base, the same HEQ has in comparrison with ordinary quartz (cheap and good enogh, but not desirable as status symbol).

The bulk of class D will be cheap units built into car stereos, HT in a box and similar. Even if High End Class D (let's call it HECD)
becomes available, it will have the same image problem HEQ has.

The prospect of Jeff Rowland, Krell or Classe building HECD amp are about the same as premium watch brands building HEQ - more an exception than rule.

It would endanger their core business - luxury line of good enough products.

My prediction: Never Say Never again.

we will have to look for high end jewels among the mediocre crop of Class D. Those jewels could be anywhere, they could be cheap, they could be expensive, made by small wannabee or established player.
"Najbolje je neprijatelj dobrog"

Volter

PrekoBare
srebrni korisnik
srebrni korisnik

Post by PrekoBare » 18 Jan 2012, 20:25

Gerner wrote: It is very individual what common sense is. For me it is to get the maximum out of what I have choosen to be good enough for me.

:-)
Sure. you know the 4 types of personality diagram. And there is budgetary issue that also could
have 4 types (stupid with no money to spend, stupid with money to spend, smart without money, smart with money to spend)

Smart person who spend money he does not have on a rock solid thing he can not afford is more stupid
than stupid with money who can afford to throw the money down toilet drain bying some idiotic thing.

There is also peer pressure. Average Joe is afraid when he makes choice that he will make stupid one, so
he sticks with the benchmark. I believe that's the secret of success of companies like Mc Intosh. You could do better,
but no one can tell you your kit is no good. It is a safe zone.

Having a killer Class D amp is sort of having Citizen Atomic on your wrist at the party -you have THE instument
for timekeeping (that's what watch is for) no $30 ETA disguised as $10,000 "watch" can come even close. But you will be
looked at like someone who "does not know what a good watch is". Better not try to explain them anything - you could get beaten up. Ditto for the owners of kilobuck/kilowatt conventional amps. When someone invests himself into equipment so heavilly, it becomes unhealthy.

Ability to quickly learn, un-learn and quickly re-learn is the measure how young we are.

I listened Class D for a while from the bottom of the food chain - Panasonic SA-XR45. For digital I could not fault it.
I used to play fun with the visitors - when they thought my power amps were playing they liked it. When I powered off everything and left Panasonic, all of sudden, they changed opinion and found a ton of complaints.

I am afraid that Class D amplifier equivalent of $200 Bulova Precisionist is not going to happen, unless brought to the market by the major Japanese company as their engineering experiment. (Nikon D40 is another fine example how major Japanese company can issue killer instrument ans sell it for pennies)
"Najbolje je neprijatelj dobrog"

Volter

dr.sah
Nov korisnik
Nov korisnik

Post by dr.sah » 19 Feb 2012, 16:41

I have Nuforce ref 18. Very good amps.

dr.sah
Nov korisnik
Nov korisnik