HiFi & Professional Audio Forum  

High End D-Class. Live or let die?

Hi-Fi komponente, iskustva, pitanja, saveti, komentari..

DejanM
Audio Expert
Audio Expert

Re: High End D-Class. Live or let die?

Post by DejanM » 15 Jun 2012, 22:07

Just a couple of thoughts about current amps ...They can be used in cases where additional power is necessary. And having Maggies is exactly such a situation. There are couple of brands that produce such amps. For example First Watt F4 but what I have in mind is Musical Fidelity Supercharger 750K.

This amp can be put immediately after your Luxman amp in order to increase the output power to 750 W at 8 Ohm.

I had the opportunity to listen the smaller version, 550K, put after a Moon integrated amp, driving Wilson Audio Duette. Ok Duette are not so difficult to drive but the sound quality was very high - very sublime, controlled and natural sound. I liked it very much.

In your case, Gerner, it could be the cheapest possible solution, which will sound very good. These Musical Fidelity Superchargers do not impose much of its own character, so the end result depends very much from the amp put before Supercherger. In your case it is very high quality Luxman, so it can be winning combination for not so much money.

Musical Fidelity Superchargers are not in production any more so you will have to look after them on a second hand market. But that could be very fine solution for your problem ...

DejanM
Audio Expert
Audio Expert

Post by DejanM » 16 Jun 2012, 07:29

Wilson Audio Duette has passive crossover and they didn't have any problems. I am also not reading from this Pass article that that might be an issue ...

What I like about this idea is the fact that you might use MF Supercharger even with only a preamp that has a high gain. Therefore, you could go with very nice preamp (maybe even one with tubes) and then get all the power you need with the Supercharger. The end result will be though mostly defined by the preamp. That is an old dream: you have for example 300B SET sound with 1000 W at the end of the line.

That will even give you the ultimate flexibility. You can use the same HiFi system for driving high sensitivity and low sensitivity speakers. Only in one case you will have to add MF Supercharger and in other you will have the same system without Supercharger. That is also a highest possible level of reusability of the HiFi components (and thus the ultimate simplification of the system basically having only one HiFi system with two speakers instead of having two completely different systems).

DejanM
Audio Expert
Audio Expert

Post by DejanM » 16 Jun 2012, 07:51

Gerner wrote:From one of the Godfather D'Agostino I think we see one of the most serious class A/B SS bids available.

Finally some amps not causing melt down of the electricity grid and shows a rather friendly Carbon emission profile. Iddle 1 W. Full power 1200 W.

Surely it is also an awesome good sounding amp. Is not overwhelming big (hate big amps)...

http://cybwiz.blogspot.dk/2012/04/dagos ... ifier.html

It is on my consideration list for Maggie-food. Audition ahead :)
After D'Agostino left Krell he made these mono's and stereo amp (I believe that the basic design is the same in both cases) under his own name. I really believe that these are masterpieces in audio design. Mono's sound is really extraordinary precise, dynamic and open. The only thing there is the fact that some people do not like such a sound. And that is something to be checked - and you are the only one that can do that ....

DejanM
Audio Expert
Audio Expert

Post by DejanM » 16 Jun 2012, 09:17

Gerner wrote:I thought immediately about that solution Dejan. A much much much more hybrid and versatile solution.

But soon I'll become totally :bls to face all those comparos in reallity. From A to D class.

:help
Are you referring to this:

"
Wilson Audio Duette has passive crossover and they didn't have any problems. I am also not reading from this Pass article that that might be an issue ...

What I like about this idea is the fact that you might use MF Supercharger even with only a preamp that has a high gain. Therefore, you could go with very nice preamp (maybe even one with tubes) and then get all the power you need with the Supercharger. The end result will be though mostly defined by the preamp. That is an old dream: you have for example 300B SET sound with 1000 W at the end of the line.

That will even give you the ultimate flexibility. You can use the same HiFi system for driving high sensitivity and low sensitivity speakers. Only in one case you will have to add MF Supercharger and in other you will have the same system without Supercharger. That is also a highest possible level of reusability of the HiFi components (and thus the ultimate simplification of the system basically having only one HiFi system with two speakers instead of having two completely different systems).
"

The main problem with this strategy is that these Musical Fidelities are hard to find. I do not know why Musical Fidelity does not produce them any more. And even if you find them, probably it will not be so easy to try them first ....

But I must admit that I liked what I heard when they were in play ...

DejanM
Audio Expert
Audio Expert

Post by DejanM » 16 Jun 2012, 09:35

Gerner wrote:Yes this is what I am referring to. Very hard to find, indeed. There are some lower wattage MF Superchargers over seas. SQ questionable.
Well I knew only two: 550K and 750K. I listened to 550K and I was impressed. 750K basically should be the same thing but with even more power (it goes to 1,2 KW @ 4 Ohm). But the smaller one will produce more than enough power to drive Maggies ... I guess ...

DejanM
Audio Expert
Audio Expert

Post by DejanM » 16 Jun 2012, 17:54

Gerner wrote:The 550K got critisism, the 750K got 5 stars.

There you go ... :D :D :D

DejanM
Audio Expert
Audio Expert

Post by DejanM » 17 Jun 2012, 18:11

Class A amps usually work until certain amount of Watts in A class and then they switch to AB class. And the second turning point is when they start to clip. That is why sometimes A class amps can deliver much more power than declared, but usually it is not class A power but AB. The important difference is different distorsion spectrum that these amps have in class AB - it is usually worse than in class A.

That is the reason why small Luxman can drive big Maggies but he works most of the time out of declared zone.

DejanM
Audio Expert
Audio Expert

Post by DejanM » 19 Jun 2012, 23:16

Gerner wrote:OK. Now we have all to cry snot here. A big mouthful of superlatives and just read...

D'Agostino_MomentumStereo_HFN (1).pdf
Yes, lot of superlatives but the amp is really good. Damn good ...